SIU Carbondale is a Carnegie classified doctoral research university enrolling students from all 50 states and approximately 100 countries. As a department with doctoral granting privileges, research isn't just a component—it's at our very core. At SIU Computer Science, our commitment to pushing the boundaries of technological advancement is evident in our diverse research portfolio. Our faculty and students are at the forefront of groundbreaking research in the realm of Cyber Security and Privacy, ensuring the development of safer and more secure digital infrastructures. Our work in Data Science and AI is pivotal in harnessing the power of data, modeling, and intelligent algorithms to drive automation, prediction, and understanding across various domains. We delve deep into Systems and Networking, exploring optimized, resilient, and scalable solutions for the evolving demands of the digital age. Venturing into the dynamic fusion of the digital and physical realms, our focus on Cyber-Physical Systems and IoT promises innovation in connecting and enhancing everyday devices. Additionally, we're elevating computational processes through our research in High-Performance Computing, enabling faster, more efficient, and complex simulations. Finally, with the overwhelming surge of data in today's world, our expertise in Data Mining and Big Data Analytics positions us to extract meaningful insights, patterns, and knowledge from vast and intricate datasets. At SIU Computer Science, we're shaping the future of technology with our multifaceted research endeavors.
Who sponsors our research?
Our research projects are funded by government agencies such as the following:
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Department of Homeland Security
- US Department of Energy (DOE)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- US Department of Justice (DOJ)
- US Department of Defense (DoD)
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
- Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- US Army Corps of Engineers, Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC)